Tuesday 28 August 2012

Evaluations

Since we're now in our last week, other than having had to break the news of the fact we're leaving to my kids - Grades 10A, 11E and 11F who I only see for three lessons a week aren't too upset, but 11A and 11B are devastated - I've also been working to get through the Warwick in Africa paper work, which includes the learner evaluation form. So about 120 forms later, I have some rather touching answers:

"I found it good communicating with people which are different from my skin colour. I'm going to miss them."
"I also want to be a mathematician who will help students to understand the concept of maths better, like Warwick has done for me [...] I am now eager to solve mathematical problems unlike before" - From the top student in Grade 11.
"I would love to someday to meet agagin with my lovely teacher and be working together or be a mathematics helper."
"I would love Miss Ann to be our Math teacher because she's really much fun to be around"
"I would really love to be a mathematics teacher because of the people who taught us mathematics, they gave me hope that I can make it in the future."
"[In the future I want] to visit Anna and have a lunch with her"
"I believe [the Warwick in Africa teachers] did well well because they provide us their all and as much as they possibly can"
"Travelling is my dream, because I am a future pilot and probably with God's mercy I'll reach England and meet with Mrs Novak again, thanking her for teaching me and motivating me to be who I would be in future."
"I want to further my studies, become a successful engineer and the best Formula 1 driver in the world, like I promised Miss Anna"
"If I was to rate them out of 100%, they deserve 110%"
"What was so impressed mostly is that they time keep (never late for a period)" 
 Most liked: "when they take us photos in the class. It kinda made me feel that I am realised in the class" 
 Least liked: "Seeing Miss Anna get furious in the class, talking about late coming.. It kind of hurt me seeing her like that"
"I did not know anything about relative frequency and now I even enjoy helping friends who don't understand."
"The fact that Ms Novak is so much patient and she was not rude when you asked her a question. She explained and ensured that you understood clearly."
"Maths used to be the most boring subject ever, now I am begging to like and love it with all of my heart" 
"[The Warwick teachers have changed my view on learning Maths] a lot because they were very patient even though you did not understand they gave us enough time to understand everything. I wish they could come back again." 
 Most liked: "When I see Mrs Annah Novak being so serious about teaching us. How she was so friendly to us. And I enjoyed when they took us photos at the same time we were learning with no stress or with no doubt and I think she must teach us for ever and ever."
 "I just wish to be an example to those who think they have failed in life. I want to chase my dreams."
"I am now excited to attend every maths period."
"I thought white people were better than us but that is not true because we all at the same level" 
 "What I didn't enjoy was when I wasn't at school, missing every word and lesson that other learners were learning"
"Before the Warwick teachers came to my school I would get so bored during maths lessons, but now I enjoy them and am even the first to get to class."
"The language we used, Miss Anna didn't understand but at the end we ended up all understanding each other and we loved it."
"Pretty says: Thank you for coming, it meant a lot to us. We all love you."

3 comments:

  1. So 'there's nothing we can do to help them'? Busted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well most of those are 11A and B who are absolutely lovely. Also they're busy trying to persuade me to stay - we've had false tears, pleading, arguments and a promise to throw water at me on my last day. Not to mention "But Mme we don't like Mr Radzuma. He doesn't give you half marks for having the right idea, he just gives you zero!". I am really going to miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you'll miss them, and they you.
    That's teaching.

    ReplyDelete