Tuesday 7 August 2012

Soweto in the Snow

Yesterday our teachers were complaining that since we got to Africa the weather has been getting colder. Today has been icily cold, I'm been rushing my kids into classrooms and yelling for the doors to be closed quickly all day. When you have no insulation and no central heating, you really can't afford to have cold winds blowing in. At lunch time, it started to snow, the kids were suitably distracted all afternoon. After much begging, I agreed to postpone the test my Grade 11s were supposed to be sitting, on the grounds of, "It's too cold to write without shaking".

Spent the afternoon doing very ad-hock lessons, trying to tie up loose ends and doing consolidation work, as well as discussing why we can't get any colder than 0 kelvin, how there's not much snow in England, my awful pronunciation of the African language and the fact that, no, I don't have any children.

I'm am a bit worried about my kids as about 90% of them don't have coats, and I'm fairly certain almost none of them have warm homes to go back to tonight...

1 comment:

  1. He he, Anna. You called them ' my kids'. You're one of us now. A teacher. Your trip sounded great and hopefully recharged your batteries. H

    ReplyDelete